Friday, February 29, 2008

It's Bad For Ya: Carlin on HBO Saturday Night

George Carlin used to be hilarious. His 70's stuff puts him, in my eyes, right up there with Richard Pryor as one of the great comics of all time. Starting in the mid-80's, his stuff became more hit-and-miss, and I can't say I find his cranky old man character much funnier than the cranky old men I know in real life. In fact, the last time he really cracked me up was about 12 years ago, with a routine that started out about creative ways to execute murderers and ended up proposing a reality show based on turning the midwest into a penal colony or something. Anyway, his latest HBO special premiers tomorrow, and you never know, he might be funny this time.

I figure everyone's seen the Seven Words You Can't Say on TV and A Place For My Stuff, so here's something from a little later, probably my favorite routine from the Grumpy Old Man era:

No comments: